Thursday, January 19, 2012

Beware of Strangers Bearing Sugar-free Candy!

Yesterday, I was cleaning out the pantry and came across a package of sugar-free hard candy I'd purchased when first diagnosed with T2 diabetes.  I won't say the brand name -- but it is a very popular cherry flavored hard candy.

I read the nutrition lable, which is something I've learned to do routinely.  One piece of candy -- a very small one, at that -- contains 14 g. of carbohydrate!  Yikes!  That's the allotment of carbs for an entire meal for me.

'No way I'm going to substitute one piece of sugar-free hard candy for a meal.  There isn't much nutrition in the candy and it's just not worth it.  Furthermore, I'm trying to limit the amount of sugar substitutes and sugar alcohols I consume, as I have no idea what negative effects it may have.

Beware and be sure to check the carb count before you make a decision about what to snack on.

1 comment: